7.1.13

Welcome Back!

Happy New Year!!! Can you believe that we are now in 2013? I remember first hearing about the Vancouver Olympic bid for the Winter 2010 games WAY back in 2003 and it seemed that it would be FOREVER until that event happened... Well here we are in 2013 talking about the PAST games three years ago!!! I never knew the true meaning of "time flies" until I became a parent and saw time through the accomplishments and milestones of my children. I wish at times that I could freeze these wonderful moments with my kids and just really cherish them and delight in their presence. I really got to do that over the Christmas break and relished in spending time playing with them and enjoying cooking and baking since we were not rushed to go any where. I hope that you all had a relaxing break and made wonderful memories with your own families.

Monday was a bit of a transition again for all of us ( I think I drank about 3 large cups of coffee all day!!!). I caught quite a few kids rubbing their eyes and yawning throughout the day! We are back in full routine with spelling this week, starting with Unit 14. (The list can be found in the links) There is no POW to take home this week, as I am introducing a new problem solving strategy, Guess and Test. Our star student this week is Aline and her sheets are due on Friday. We are easing back into our writing and reading programs and in Math, we pick up again with "carrying over" or regrouping with double and triple digit numbers. We have started some handwriting and I have sent some practice sheets home if your child is interested. If they are doing these sheets, please go through it WITH them to make sure that they are doing proper formation (This is very important! We want to discourage bad habits at this stage.)

***Please note that we now have a student with SEVERE PEANUT AND NUT ALLERGIES in our class and we are NOW A PEANUT AND NUT FREE classroom. Please take some time to check the contents of your child's lunch. Thank you for helping us keep our students safe.***

REMINDERS:
-- Popcorn Wednesday
-- Food Bank Mass on Friday
-- Holy Childhood Association boxes are due
-- Skating forms are due (You can send the cheques with your oldest child, but we need to have a PERMISSION SLIP for each student.)

Here's a great take on New Year's Resolutions from Calvin & Hobbes! I know I have my share of things I want to work on!